From:
Shannon McElearney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 2004 10:03:30 -0500
My mind wandered during conference yesterday and I began to consider the
possibility of a study evaluating the knowledge of surgeons with regards
to lactation.  The idea of a survey asking "what would you do with this
situation"-type questions started to formulate itself.  I thought of
questions regarding use of pain medications, effects of anesthesia,
interventions like pumping for inpatients, treatment of mastitis/breast
abscess, and liklihood of consulting an LC.

I have done NO background research to see what similarly-guided studies
have been published, but plan to do that over the next several weeks,
while doing my "real" work, so I apologize in advance if the study idea
fizzles out due to overlap with previous publications etc.

I'm interested to know if there are any specific questions that commonly
come up, areas where physicians (specifically surgeons) commonly do
the "wrong" thing.  It would be most helpful if there is data as to what
the "right" thing is, otherwise I can't argue that it is a misperception
only a difference of opinion (and knowing my colleagues, they will simply
conclude that they are right and the lactation community is mistaken ;)

Also, because of the response rate to surveys, and the fact that this
should be skewed to surgeons who deal commonly with women of childbearing
age, I would need to do this on a scale larger than my institution.  I may
consider a survey sent to the members of the American College of Surgeons,
though I have no funding for this, so that may prove a difficulty.  Any LC
or physician who is interested in this, please feel free to contact me
privately.

BTW, I am currently trying out the emailed Medline search for
breastfeeding abstracts and will let those of you who contacted me know if
it is feasible for a yahoo group.

Shannon McElearney, MD
PGY4, General Surgery
errant Research Fellow, Surgical Infectious Diseases Research Lab
University of Virginia
and nursing mama to 18 month old Jack