Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2008 20:18:53 EDT

April writes:

I'm working  with a client who was told by NICU staff to not nurse her
preemie (born at 33  weeks) longer than 30 minutes or so because he'll loose the
calories he is  getting from breastfeeding. However, being a preemie, he falls
asleep at the  breast a lot and is happy to nurse while sleeping. I have never,
ever heard  that and checked all my resources and still can't find   anything.

~~ I wonder if they are saying that when they actually mean that  spending
long periods of time  (which they define at 30 minutes or  more) at breast may
be too stressful for a preemie who may have stamina  issues, and may not be
strong enough to transfer adequate amounts of milk before  fatiguing out, and
then would end up underfed if they just fall asleep/shut  down unsatiated. I
would also be careful of allowing a premature baby to  expend energy, over a
period of time, on any form of feeding without seeing  if there is any milk
transfer. Babies who come early can often have real issues  with stamina, so they may
want to cap breast time until they can be sure that  the baby is working
efficiently enough. Although it is probably more important  to actually look at
the baby, not the clock, by assessing rhythmic swallowing,  sucking bursts,
latch position, and test weights, etc., not all NICU nurses feel  competent or are
encouraged to do this, and NICUs are often about  walking the line between
being patient with learning normal feedings skills,  while keeping in mind the
potential compromising things these babies often have  to deal with and
developing general rules to deal with them.  It would  be important to make sure that
this baby is actually "nursing while sleeping",  meaning actually
transferring milk, or is he just hanging out, enjoying  closeness, signaling milk
production, all good and important things to be sure,  but not actually transferring
decent amounts of milk. Time at breast without  significant milk transfer is
not bad, unless it means the baby is then too  fatigued or disorganized to feed
adequately after that. So, I think I know the  concept they are trying to get
at, they are just not wording it right, in my  opinion.

Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL
Brooklyn, NY,  USA