From:
Amy Kotler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:06:33 -0600
Jen,
I sooo relate! Why can't I get any of my patients to go to lactation
consultants? They even offer it free, we have a deal now that it will go
through insurance from my office and then I'll reimburse the IBCLC and they
still don't go! They don't even call for free advice, no one I ever gave LLL
info to ever went!  But some one is going the IBCLC's have pts and LLL has a
grp- my pts tend to be mid to lower socio eco.

Yesterday had a mom who had her 3 rd doesn't want to vaccinate b/c 1 st has
autism- had hard time BF 1 st 2 not more than 2 mo so we met prenatally, talked
long time, lots of LLL info sheets, encouraged LLL mtg pernatally (don't think
she went) lent videos- she had hospital birth- had good IBCLC in hosp help her
but at 4 days on our first visit- very sore traumatized nipples- she kept
saying that the latch must be good b/c the LC in the hosp told her it was- and
that she didn't need another c/s b/c she already saw the LC in the hospital- I
thought I explained well how she could be helped.... She never went- yesterday
saw them on the f/u age 2 wks (she never called me either to say she was having
problems) I asked her how it was going- she said- I got Mastitis- pumping and
dumping -they wanted to ask me about the Antibiotic even though the OB said it
was okay- "she just needs to rest now" I get this feeling like (unspoken words)
"How can you even talk to me about breastfeeding now- you see what it did to
me, severe pain in my nipples, then fever chills, red hard breast and
exhaustion, the baby is so much happier now, she only needs to eat every 3
hours sleeps inbetween and my mother feeds her while I sleep on the couch, and
look how much wt she gained (they are always so proud of that- they are also
always so proud of a sleeping baby)"

I get this so much!

I had a mom a few yrs ago who I worked with and got her exclusively BF'ing but I
wasn't having hosp priv at the time b/c I was working part time -I found out
that the baby got a fever and actually had ecoli sepsis menigitis!!!
Thankfully, baby did well, but when they came back later, I was afraid to even
ask- I just knew that BF'ing went by the waste side!

Its so hard to convince people of "risks" and statistics when they have another
child who wasn't breastfed who never had any ear infections!

The worst was the receptionist at my prev practice who smoked thru 3
pregnancies! Right at the exit door in front of the building!

You know this is true for smoking and obesity too, the other receptionist also
smoked and was over wt, constantly coughing and had frequent angina- laughed
everytime I told her she should try to quit, and when they are sick, they get
really mad- How dare you talk to me about quiting now, can't you see I'm sick-
I have an infection! Totally do not comprehend the relation!

Amy Kotler MD, pediatrician, mother to adorable 2 y/o who says MY BREATS
(meaning her mother's breast belong to her!) and I neeeed it!