From:
Carol Chamblin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 09:36:15 EST
Hi!  I haven't posted in a while, but another "wonderful" colleague suggested
I share my story here.  I had a mom who delivered on 1/30 and had never been
able to latch baby onto breast in the hospital.  The LC in the hospital had
given her a bottle nipple to latch because mom's right nipple was inverted
and left nipple was flat.  (A bottle nipple should not be used!) When I did
my initial consult, baby was home and 5 days old.  Baby was dehydrated, so we
finger-fed and baby exhibited a dysfunctional suck.  Mom's volume was low, so
I set her up with pumping to increase her volume.  The message I'd like to
display here is for us LCs not to give up on these moms, but to either
continue to effectively suport them or to refer them elsewhere for these
services.  I kept seeing this mom over the next 4 weeks and yesterday baby's
intake at breast was 86 cc's.  She'd been gradually getting baby to accept
the breast.  My wisest advice on achieving latch with a baby who refuses the
breast is what I call "take two steps backwards".  I often see moms and LCs
trying to force a baby to accept the breast, which in the long-run harms the
situation further.  If a mom will take her baby for CST, it will help the
baby.  This mom didn't want to take this option.  But, it's wonderful that
she was able to increase her milk supply from drops to 3 oz. and to gradually
allow her baby to accept the breast.  She's been nursing the baby for the
past few days, with just an occasional bottle, and she's so happy!  Had I
given up on her, she would not be breastfeeding.  Yes, it took a lot of my
time to support her, but it was worth it!  I'd do it again and again! Thanks
for listening!
Carol Chamblin, RN, MS, IBCLC
Breast 'N Baby Lactation Services, Inc.
St. Charles, IL