From:
Tina Kimmel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 12:26:06 -0800
At 10:21 AM -0800 3/26/04, Arly Helm wrote:
>A rigorous epidemiological survey on the risks of sleeping alone is
>indeed needed, if we are to continue to support the practice of
>separating infants from their mothers and putting them into infant
>cribs.

I did a back-of-the-envelope calculation, using
US data on suffocation deaths, divided by the
co-sleeping prevalence rates found in the US
PRAMS survey. (SIDS is not taken into account.)
My report
http://www.mothering.com/9-0-0/html/9-4-0/kimmel.shtml
was published in the terrific Sept/Oct 2002
co-sleeping issue of Mothering Magazine, which
was edited by James McKenna.

I concluded that it is nearly 3 times MORE
dangerous for an infant to sleep in a crib, than
with an adult.

Tina

Tina Kimmel, MSW, MPH
PhD Program, UC Berkeley School of Social Welfare