From:
Kathy Sharpe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 21:08:45 EDT
Can someone tell me where I might get more information on hypernatremic milk.
I understand what it is and that it is assoc. with weaning milk.  I am not
real clear when I should be concerned about this being a possibility.  For
example,I saw a mother who has been trying to breastfeed an 8 day old baby
who has not really nursed since day 3.She has been supplemanting with
formula. She has pumped but not very faithfully.  When I saw her (day 8) she
stated she had pumped only once the day before and had gotten 2 oz.  With the
use of a nipple shield the baby went on and nursed approx. 5 minutes.  I
immediately heard swallows and the other breast began leaking.  Should I be
concerned with hypernatremic milk here?  I asked her to return tomorrow and
told her she would have to supplement after each nursing until we were sure
her milk supply was adequate.  Thanks in advance.  Feel free to email me
privately.