From:
rowena tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 22:15:42 -0600
Dear Dr. Mimi,
Hi, again! Regarding your "challenges":
Unfortunately, normal lactation principles were not taught in PA school,
either (most of our classes and clinicals were with the med students). I
had no idea how absolutely AWESOME this breastfeeding thing was till I
did it. Now I'm hooked. Hopefully all of us will talk to our alma maters
(sp?)and get them to improve their curricula. Also, I was taught that
ERs were to make sure death was not eminent, and refer to the normal,
daytime resources.  I like the idea of the letter, with "CC's" to
important people, mentioning that "do no harm" part.
:)Rowena Tucker PA, IBCLC
Texas
<<In the vein of "compassionate communication", I need a bit of help.

Probably the biggest challenge I face in my community is the information

given out by emergency room personnel on infant feeding.  We don't have
pediatricians in our ERs.  Often times small infants are being seen by
physician assistants (mid level practitioners).

Anyone have any pearls about approaching this group of health care
professionals?  I had some challenges with medical advice given to a
couple
of moms while I was out of town week before last.  I think a letter to
the ER
directors (nursing and medical) might be a great start.  If anyone has
put
together talks or handouts for the ER setting please contact me
directly.

Pierrette Mimi Poinsett, MD FAAP>>