From:
"G. Hertz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 May 2001 00:00:39 -0700
I'm finding myself with a partial language barrier lately and I wonder if
anyone knows of printed or downloadable info on subjects like "how to tell
baby is getting enough" and "how to tell if I have enough milk"?

It's difficult enough to convince an insecure mom that her milk is enough
for her baby [no supplements needed] when English is a primary language, but
when English is a second language it's nearly impossible.  These moms want
to breastfeed, but can't be convinced of adequate supply, despite good
weight gain in the baby, leaking milk from the other breast during nursing,
etc., because of cluster feeding and willingness to take a bottle afterwards
and a lack of understanding of how the breast works.

"why should I put the baby back to breast when he just came off the breast
and now he seems hungry again, there must not be enough milk in there for
him"

I can't help but think that if I had something in their native language to
give them it would help out.

In the last few months I could have used:

Hebrew
Greek
Russian
Czech
Vietnamese
Polish [actually this mom did beautifully, but it would be nice to have for
the next mom]

Anybody know of some resources?

Gail S. Hertz, MD, IBCLC