From:
Libby Fitzpatrick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2008 18:42:02 +0900
Hello Jessica
I have been lurking & learning on the list for about a year now. My journey
to eventually becoming  an IBCLC has been a long one. I trained as a
hospital based General Nurse in the early 1970's, then went on to do my
Midwifery training  also hospital based & within a year of completing my
Generalist training. I then worked in hospitals for the next 7 years. Then
moved to an island in the far north-west of Western Australia and was
employed by a mining company to manage the medical centre, this included
being on call 24/7 being shared with the Dr & first aid attendant! During
this time I became a member of the Nursing Mother's Association, now known
as the Australian Breastfeeding Association & commenced training (by
correspondence) to be a volunteer counselor. During this time I had 2
children, early '80's & ceased training as my youngest was 6 months old &
had just moved to another mining location (Kalgoorlie) Despite being
exclusively breastfed she suffered with otiis media & croup so was unable to
finish my training. 3years later in another town(Kununrra) still in the
Northwest of WA I commenced work at an Aboriginal Medical Centre to manage
the antenatal clinic, this is where I learnt to do pap smears & care for the
Aboriginal women& children who attended the clinic. I was then asked by the
Gov't run Community Health Centre to re- establish the Women's Health
Clinic, I also helped the school health nurse & decided to gain extra
knowledge & was accepted to study Family & Child Health At Curtin University
as an external student. Before that I had completed my Sexual Health
training. (I had to travel to Darwin Northern Territory for the 2 week
theory component, & to Perth, Western Australia for the clinical Practice
component). In 1996 the family moved to the city of Perth & for the last 11
yrs have worked as a community Child health nurse.
I joined the local Lactation association & attended their monthly meetings.
I always felt in my job as a community Child health nurse that my depth of
breastfeeding knowledge was not adequate despite having breastfed my 2
children for 2 years & eight months each. I sat the IBCLC exam 2
years ago & passed.  I continue to work as a Community child Health Nurse &
take on referrals from other clinics, the local hospitals if the mums' live
in my catchment area. Through my life's journey I have realized that the
more I learn, the more I realize what I did not know!!!!I continue to go to
relevant conferences , luck & learn from lactnet & 2 other website which are
helpful with attached parenting are circleofsecurity.org.com & brainwave.com
 I wish you all the best in you goal to become an IBCLC an all that it
entails.
Libby [log in to unmask]
RN,RM,CCHN,IBCLC