From:
Elisabeth Coble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jul 2015 09:15:40 -0400
Sylvia makes some very good points here, and as health care professionals,
we are always thinking about the ethical issues in regards to the care we
provide. I have been involved in many mother-to-mother peer support groups,
and they are not always the best source of information and support for
women; however, sometimes they are the ONLY form of support a woman is
capable of seeking out. Oftentimes the information they receive from these
supports can be biased and even judgmental.  So if we apply the ethical
principle of beneficence to this scenario, providing telehealth services to
these women is essentially providing the greatest amount of good to the
greatest amount of people.  In addition, we also are concerned with doing no
harm or nonmaleficence. This is where the IBCLC who is providing the
telehealth services will refer out so the woman is receiving the appropriate
level of care. So, ethically speaking, MilkOnTap is a progressive and
promising service that can help promote, support, and protect breastfeeding,
which is our ultimate goal.

Elisabeth Coble, BSN-RN, CPN, IBCLC