From:
Kathy Rubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 17:25:42 EDT
Heidi did not mention how old the baby was (or I missed it) on the Oprah
show. I told two dads to day (one who just had their baby and a second whose
wife is due soon) that if they are feeling left out, they are not doing
enough to help their partner with the baby. New babies just came from
continuously rocking/holding/feeding 24-7 and it takes a while to adjust to
not having that schedule. How many babies, by 10 months old (equal to the
duration of a  pregnancy, BTW) are NOT eating three squares a day and nursing
5-6 times around that????? Just explaining the facts of life in a kind,
understanding way goes a long way to getting them to understand that while
newborns take up an inordinate amount of time, it IS temporary. Changing
their expectations to realistic is my goal.

Kathy in NJ IBCLC
RN C (Maternal-infant), APN C (Family Nurse Practitioner)
PhD student hoping to study labor and lactation issues