From:
Julius Edlavitch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 1997 14:46:44 -0500
Please Reply to this mother's need privately
She has a question about St John's Wort

Also next Monday International Pediatric Chat will
Celebrate World Breastfeeding Week
at 1:30PM NY time and 10 PM NY time
At 1:30 We will celebrate the certification of the first "baby friendly
hospital" in Uruguay and at 10 PM we will have a general celbration and Kay
Hoover ibclc will discuss some current breastfeeding literature

>Hello.  I am suffering from post-partum depression and don't feel comfortable
>taking any of the traditional anti-depressants, due to the fact that I am
>currently breastfeeding.  A therapist recommended St. John's Wort, which I
>have been taking for two weeks.  A soon-to-be lactation consultant agreed
>with the recommendation and feels it is safe for the baby.  She told me about
>Dr. Thomas Hale and his book Medications and Mother's Milk.  She suggested I
>try to contact him to see how safe he feels St. John's Wort is for a nursing
>baby.  I was unable to find an address for him, but did find your address
>under the list of chats, several which he attends.  I didn't know if maybe
>you have any information on the safety of SJW or if possibly you could
>forward this letter to Dr. Thomas Hale.
>
>Thank you very much for your time!
>Melissa Chase

                   International Pediatric Chat
             Julius Edlavitch M.D. from Minnnnnnesota

          International Pediatric Chat   ***http://www.pedschat.org***

      ""International Pediatric Chat supports "Baby-Friendly" efforts at
hospitals through out the world and therefore as a policy will never take
any               support funds from a baby nutrition company.""

       "What wisdom can you have that is greater than kindness"