Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2007 19:28:40 EDT
I have been wanting to share something with all of you, that is interesting
professionally and also personally heartwarming.  My 3 yr old grandson, who had
various difficulties with nursing as an infant, and for whom my dear daughter
tried everything and pumped for almost 2 yr, suddenly began to comfort nurse.

About two months ago, my daughter, who is trying to wean him from the bottle
(water only and used by him when sleepy or "out of sorts"), offered him her
breast (dry now) and for the first time he actually latched on and sucked.  It
was only for a minute, and the latch was far from perfect, but all the same,
the very act of sucking briefly at breast brought him comfort and he went about
his business afterward exactly like most toddlers who are still nursing,
"healed" from a quick nursie.

She was amazed, I was amazed, and it brought home to me the power of
breastfeeding isn't just about the milk...it's all about the relationship!  He has
continued to take the breast occasionally when it's offered, and even request it
himself.   I immediately thought of Cathy Genna, Karleen and Darillyn, Mechell
Turner, Diane, Lisa Marasco, Mona Gabbay, Betty Coryllos,Lee, and many others
(I tried to leave no stone unturned in tapping all resources when my grandson
was a bit younger) and the help all had given me for my daughter when she was
trying so desperately to get my grandson to breastfeed.  Once again, my
thanks, too. He did breastfeed partially for a few months and now it's apparent
that most of the reason he had such difficulty was due to his very high palate
and dyspraxia.

This nursing of his is helping my daughter tremendously, for she so missed
that ability to comfort at breast.   We are both amazed and grateful and Diane,
no truer words could be spoken than, "It's Not Really About the Milk!"

Warmly,
Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC