Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2006 09:14:57 +0200

 I have a question for those of you working in hospitals.  Are any of
you experiencing contact dermatitis from constant hand washing?  I see
many mothers each day and of course wash hands between each one.  I used
to use the antiseptic scrub that all the staff uses, but lately have
found that it may be the cause of the terrible state of my hands.
Apparently, this is a common problem among hospital workers.  You wash
hands over and over, remove the protective covering of the skin, and
leave your hands open to infection.  Gloves sometimes help, but not
always.  My hands look as if they have been dipped in boiling water,
scabbed and itch and peel.  All creams to this date have not helped.  I
even sleep in cotton gloves.  The gel hand cleaner has alcohol, which
seems to exacerbate the problem.
Have any of you had this problem, and if so, what have you done about
it?  At the moment, my hands are so painful that I cannot touch
anything.
Is it time to retire and start writing my book?

Esther Grunis, IBCLC
Lis Maternity Hospital
Tel Aviv, Israel