Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2007 19:53:52 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (37 lines)
The session on eating disorders at the ILCA conference seemed very good.  I'm not sure if 
you can get the video tape or DVD if you didn't attend the conference, but I would suggest 
trying.

It reminded me that one of the children in my son's class has a mother that I am sure has 
an eating disorder.  My son's teacher is very professional and never complains about 
parents, but finally whispered to me in exasperation about a child in my son's class 
whose mother never sent him with lunch (and she was not poor by any means) on one 
field trip when we had to collect from the other children to ensure this child ate.  We 
were invited to a birthday party for this boy on a Saturday from noon to 2:30 pm.  
Remember, I live in the over the top birthday party territory of Manhattan.  She served a 
small 8 oz bag of so-called healthy chips, four apples, three plums and four cupcakes.  
The cupcakes had to be cut in four so that each child could have a piece of cupcake.  No 
"lunch" was served to the children.  I think all the parents were stunned into silence over 
the complete lack of "lunch" at a birthday party at that time.  The usual fare is pizza for 
the kids, adults either fend for themselves with extra pizza or with the wealthier families 
some gormet lunch is served.  She completely ignored her son during the birthday party.  

I see various manifestations of mild to severe eating disorders all the time.  It is 
primarily about control.  One book I read that I remember being quite interesting was 
"Starving to Death in a Sea of Objects"  by John Sours.  It only deals about anorexia 
nervosa.

The more interesting part of the ILCA talk for me was the section on bulima which I don't 
know as much about.

Best, Susan Burger

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2