From:
Kathryne Bredbeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jul 2005 10:05:16 -0500
Is the hospital big enough to ask for a second neonatologist's opinion
on banked milk?  Could she bring in information from Dr. Wright (sorry
if spelling wrong) on this list regarding milk for baby?  Could she get
another doctor to RX it for the baby and bring it in as her own milk?
Could she get a friend to pump milk and bring it in for the baby?

Have you also counseled her what you sig file says?  Letting her know
what she feels is AGONY and not so much guilt may change her ability to
cope with the situation.  It will allow her to grieve and then move on
to the best thing for her baby ---- advocate for donor milk.

Calling the milk bank closest to you and speaking to them about this
may lead to some ideas about what to do in your situation and your
location.  I found the donor milk banks to be an excellent resource not
only for getting donor milk for babies but for how to convince the
unconvinced that they need it.

Also, in the words of my son's surgeon: You don't have to convince
anyone of anything.  You tell them what they can and cannot do.
Letting her know she has the power to tell the doctor, "I want my baby
to receive donor milk.  I don't care if formula is fine for someone
else's baby, it's not fine for mine.  Will you RX it for my baby or
should I find another neonatologist who will?"

I have found in my short career as a hospital advocate for my child
that being direct with doctors about what you will and will not allow
for your child ALWAYS gets the best results: The ones where they treat
you like an adult who can make decisions for your child.

Finally, I would encourage her to feed the baby at the breast with an
SNS once baby can tolerate non-NG feeds.  This may go a long way toward
healing that sadness she feels.

Katie Bredbeck