From:
anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2008 11:19:29 -0500
The interesting thing about toxicity is that it takes a long time to collect
approaprate data. DDT is an interesting  story. What was found about DDT was
the egg shells of  birds like eagles were damaged. There was no demonstrated
toxicity to humans when DDT was banned at the levels used for the control of
misquitos. What we do know now, is that there are many deaths from malaria
in the areas of the world that DDT was once used to control misquitos. THere
has been some talk about reinstituting DDT in these areas since the death
tool is so high and preventable.  Toxicity in humans is a complex  study.
That is why is seems that science is slow Things like mode of transmission,
dose, long term vs short term, alternatives, etc alll go into the mix.
Helping parents reduce risk without panicing is a challenge.The CDC and FDA
can be a source of current data as it relates to  the things we consume.Ann
Anderson.