Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2013 09:51:25 -0600
What does the research show?  All of this is expressed opinions.  I saw one research study conducted as a side study when the researcher was looking at Stem cells in breast milk.  Stem cells are killed by freezing.  The objective of the study was to look at how long they survived in breast milk, and how long could breast milk be refrigerated without excessive bacterial growth.  What they found is that the bacterial count in breast milk depended on the technique used by the moms in cleaning the pump kit.  Careful attention to aseptic technique and placing the cleaned equipment on a clean, covered surface resulted in NO bacterial growth at 7 days.  The bacterial growth was associated with the care taken with the equipment.  Now if anyone wants to defend the refrigerator method - it DOES make some sense - the best way to do that is to DO it and culture the equipment and the breast milk obtained with the equipment.  And that is not manufacturer dependent - unless the materials used in the pump kit are more or less conducive to harboring bacteria. When we are dealing with NICU babies, it is important to not make assumptions about what is safe without research to back us up.  Dr. Wight has previously mentioned about babies getting seratia when it was found in the breast milk.  We have seen it here also, and it was found coming from sink handles when the mom touched them after handling plant dirt (the origin).  There are many factors involved, many situations in environments that we may not be aware of.  Just sayin'.