From:
Alice Roddy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 May 2011 16:51:41 -0400
I have searched the archives for 'smelly milk' and found 3 or 4 references to fresh, smelly milk but did not find much by way of explanation for same (suggestion that goldenseal causes smelly milk).

Permission to quote.

Baby boy’s DOB 3/14/11 b.w. 6 # 1 oz. Mom, from Puerto Rico, had breastfed first child until 8 mos. of age. Began to use m. pump for engorgement after 5 days, and give some breastmilk in bottle after first week. Mom began to use some formula supplement around 3 wks of age (despite counsel against use of formula, bottles or pacifiers at this age).

When baby was about 7 wks old, he began to refuse breastfeeding and breastmilk in the bottle. Mother also felt she had symptoms of UTI and called her doctor. She was told to push fluids/especially cranberry juice, and call back if not better in 3-4 days. (Her symptoms had improved w/in a few days.)

While she was discussing her condition, she also asked advise re: why baby would be refusing her breastmilk? She was asked to “smell” the milk. It had a strong odor. She had not had a menstrual period, (she had been given a birth control shot after delivery). She began to feed only formula, and use a manual pump to “pump and dump” her milk, trying to maintain her supply. As she continued to “push the fluids” for herself, (some cranberry juice and lots of water) she noticed the smell of the breastmilk went away after about a week.

She has begun to encourage baby back to breast but he won’t often latch and her supply is severely compromised at this time. She has been encouraged to put baby to breast each feeding, if he won’t take at the beginning of the feed, try after ~1 oz of formula. The mom hopes to build supply but may not be dedicated enough to really do that.

I am not helping the mother directly but rather am helping her helper who does speak Spanish. I have permission of both to post.

I have two questions:

What caused the smelly milk?

Could the birth control shot given at delivery (I don't know specifically what is was) be affecting her milk supply now?

Alice Roddy
Linden, VA, USA

Nursing is the biological norm for mothers and babies. It is a relationship that provides stress reducing hormones to the mother as well as stimulation, connection, and protection from illness to the baby. It even feeds the baby.