From:
Freyja May <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2007 13:03:52 -0700
Hi Marit,
More anecdotal experience for you!

One of my children did not swallow solid food until he was 10 months old.
This did coincide with getting his first tooth and I believe that he did
have some mild allergies, but I think more relevantly it was that his tongue
thrust reflex did not diminish until then. He simply was pushing food out
instead of working it to his throat and swallowing it. I did try putting it
further back in his mouth but he gagged it out. While he reached most
developmental milestones ahead of "normal" (and was and is especially gifted
in the small motor skills), he was also slower to speak clearly than many
other children, but speaks more clearly than many other 6 year olds at this
point. And he hasn't nursed at the breast since he was three and has always
been very healthy. While he's a little on the small side, it's typical for
men in my family to reach about 5'6".

I've never met an exclusively breastfed child of 9-12 months who appear to
be malnourished or was not thriving. Usually what I've seen is a big baby
paired with a very slender mother who is having trouble keeping weight on
herself while growing a healthy, thriving child! Again, anecdotal!

Freyja May, LLLL, CO, USA