From:
Karen Koss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 1995 18:51:55 -0400
There has been quite a bit of discussion regarding biting, tight bite and
bruising.  I would like to share something that sometimes (not always) works
for me.

Some babies seem to be very sensitive about the position of their head in
relationship to the body. Many are able to suck well if the chin is tucked
down just a little or if the chin on-line when there is no flexion of the
neck.  Some babies, however, need to have their chins reaching slightly
forward and up to suck and swallow well.  This is easily accomplished by
pulling the baby's shoulders in closer to the mother causing the neck to
slightly extend  Is it easier for them to extend their tongues in that
position? Does the chin help to support the breast so they don't have to bite
to keep it in their mouths?

Sometimes these babies do well with their heads extended more than what we
would think is optimal positioning.

The cup feeding session at ILCA featured pictures of preterm infants lapping
the milk using great movements of their tongues.  Makes me wonder if that's
what's missing for some of the infants who have trouble "drawing" the breast
into their mouths.

Any comments?

Karen Koss