From:
Lorri Centineo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Nov 1998 17:01:38 -0500
"how to tell if a healthcare provide is not supportive of breastfeeding".
the nursing director of our health dept. felt this alienates the providers.
When I told him that the creator of these handouts was a physician himself
he said he

Earlier this year, Pat Bull and June Hartman produced an excellent summary
of the AAP policy statement of December of 1997.  In double column format,
it lists the summary items and what pediatricians were further "directed" to
do as a result of the policy.  Because it is written in the light of "this
would indicate a supportive physician,"  this might be a viable alternative
with which to start. It attacks nobody and clearly states positive (normal?"
expectations and guidelines.

IMHO, Education can sometimes be more effective than criticism, especially
in that order.  Tell, explain, observe, show, observe...then if all else
fails...the baseball bat :o)

Lorri Centineo
Maine State Breastfeeding Task Force