From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Dec 2011 11:30:36 +0100
I am wondering if I have missed something here, since no one has
mentioned it.  Maybe there are new theories on what prolactin does in
the body and I haven't heard of them.  At the risk of looking foolish
I will post anyway.

Wouldn't a prolactin-secreting tumor cause massive OVERSUPPLY?   How
is the prolactinoma being treated?  The standard treatment used to be
bromocriptine, and if this mother has been given bromocriptine, or is
taking it regularly, then all the fenugreek in town isn't going to
make much of a dent.   I don't know what, if any, surgical techniques
are available, but if her prolactin-secreting pituitary cells have
been tampered with, it's not exactly earth-shaking sensational news
that milk supply is low.

I haven't followed anyone with this diagnosis but my first question to
anyone contacting me would be 'and how is your tumor being treated?'
She got pregnant somehow, so either it is a brand new tumor or was
already treated before the pregnancy.  Prolactinomas cause menstrual
irregularities, remember?

She may not even know that the medication to treat the tumor is going
to jeopardize breastfeeding, and, incredible as it may seem, the
endocrinologist treating her (there is almost certainly an
endocrinologist already involved since she has been diagnosed,
according to the original post) may not have thought to a) talk with
her about her plans for breastfeeding or b) inform her that the
medication has been used to suppress lactation.

Rachel Myr
Wishing you all a happy new year from Kristiansand, Norway