Date:
Sun, 6 May 2001 16:53:15 -0600
>-- you'd be amazed at how, all of a sudden,
>hardly anyone needed an epidural

In the interest of keeping posts short... AMEN.  I have far too many times
seen the chain of events like this woman gets to hospital is 3 cm., get
epidural, labor stalls, gets Pit., needs more epidural, let's break the
water, all while woman is sitting in bed, oh no fetal heart rate is going
down better get oxy., baby isn't descending better get forceps, for some
women they can get babies out then, others end up with surgery, which is
exactly what a c/s is.  I was watching Birth Day on Discovery Health Channel
the other day and the woman's mom was all worried because her poor daughter
had all of the above and they moved her to the OR to do a c/s if one last
effort with the forceps didn't work.  The mother took like an hour to be
stitched up and was sobbing while the male dr. was pulling the baby out with
forceps, nurses were pushing on the top of the mom's belly.  All I could
think of was how traumatic it seemed.  The only redeeming thing was after
the commercial break it did seem like the mom was nursing.  It's amazing
through all of that.  I am hoping she had a good LC.

Now that doesn't mean I think a c/s is always avoidable, but it is and so
are augmentation drugs is I bet 70%+ cases.

Melisa
~*~*~*~*~
Did you hear? Breast is Best!
Certified Lactation Counselor
Student Midwife
Alternative Medicine Counselor in Training
Childbirth Educator
www.nurturingmama.com

Mom to Harry who changed my life,
Jacob who changed my spirit, and