Date:
Sun, 4 Jun 2006 00:58:09 -0400
Dear Sara,

At the risk of perhaps not using the best Lactnet etiquette by quoting I
will chime in here because I happen to be in the middle of reading "The
Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers" and I just read what Dr. Newman says
about yeasty milk.

"Elimination of C. albanicans from the mother's environment is also neither
practical nor of much use. Throwing away frozen milk collected while the
mother has her problem with C.albanicans seems to me a terrible waste.
Although freezing the milk does not kill this organism, it is likely, given
the antifungal factors in breast milk, that the fungus will remain in the
form that does not cause problems." This is from page 149.

On page 143 he describes C. albicans as having 2 forms, one that is round
shaped as seen under a microscope and he says that form is harmless. If it
is transformed into long filaments or threads he says that's the form that
causes problems.

He goes on to say on page 149 that yeast is with us all the time and it is
impossible to get rid of it completely but desirable for a woman
experiencing problems with it to reestablish a normal relationship with it.

I definitely get the feeling that his opinion on yeast is anecdotal but
given the thousands of women he has worked with I think it is probably
valuable.

Barbara Holmes RD, IBCLC

Brooklyn, NY