From:
Jan Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 1995 09:25:45 -0400
Denise,

Babies need approximately 120kcal/kg body weight (which is about 27 ounces
for a 10 pound baby).  A R--s rep told one LC-2-be that babies only needed an
average of 26 ounces of formula per day for the first 3 to 6 months.  I don't
know what planet this person (the R--s rep) lives on, but that certainly
wouldn't sustain much past a 9 pounder.  Guess he was just trying to be
convincing that formula isn't all that expensive!

Susan Carlson, in talking about the necessary nutrients in the composition of
human milk mentions that the caloric value of human milk changes over time;
that it is approximately 20 calories/ounce in the first month or so, but that
it increases to about 26 calories/ounce in the milk of a mother of a 4 month
old.  Which may be one of the reasons an older baby actually takes less
volume of breastmilk than he does of formula.  (That information will be
available as an independent study module from ILCA.  Soon, I hope).

Jan B.