From:
Jennifer Sokolow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2007 12:39:01 -0500
Hi all,

I've been lurking for a few weeks and thought I should introduce
myself. My name is Jennifer, I live on Long Island (New York, USA) and
I have two daughters, ages 4 and 6. I am in the process of a career
change, from web designer to lactation professional. My ultimate goal
is to become an IBCLC, but without a healthcare background, it's going
to be a very looooooong process for me. I've been following the threads
about IBLCE/IBCLC requirements with great interest.

Currently I am a Leader Applicant with La Leche League and I also did a
Certified Lactation Educator training with CAPPA (Childbirth and
Postpartum Professionals Association) last summer. I'm still finishing
up some reading and other requirements for that before I can officially
be a CLE. I don't know the general opinion on Lactnet about
certifications other than IBCLC, but as a complete beginner and a
newcomer to the lactation field, the CAPPA course seemed much more
well-defined, structured, and *achievable* than the IBCLC exam. And
throughout the course, the instructor emphasized that she was not
teaching us to be lactation consultants and that we should always refer
clients to an IBCLC for anything beyond the scope of a lactation
educator's mandate. I intend to sit for the IBCLC exam eventually (when
I finally rack up enough BC hours!), but the CLE seemed like a good
beginning and introduction to the lactation field.

Unofficially, I've gotten a reputation in my community as the local
"breastfeeding fanatic" so people call me about pumping, increasing
their milk supply, etc. It was when this started happening more and
more frequently that I realized that this should be my career. I'm
reading voraciously to stay one step ahead of the questions I get.
Again, I always refer to La Leche League or a lactation consultant if
the question is beyond what I feel comfortable answering, but it's so
gratifying to disseminate even small pieces of accurate information,
such as, no, you don't have to throw away that bottle of pumped milk
because you forgot to put it in the fridge for 2 hours, because freshly
expressed milk can stay out much longer than that!

Anyway, in reading Lactnet, I have been amazed at the dedication,
knowledge, and passion of lactation professionals around the world. I'm
learning so much from all of you--thank you for sharing your thoughts
and expertise! I hope someday I can make a small contribution.

Jennifer Sokolow
(hoping to add some letters after my name eventually!)