From:
Dany Gauthier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 1997 23:35:55 -0400
Hi Lactnetters!

I have been following the posts about this subject and remember quite
clearly hearing a speaker (who and at what conference...I must have attended
to many!) say that in SOME rare cases, very large breasts that became very
large quite early in puberty could maybe not have sufficient mammary gland.
The explanation was that the speed of growth during puberty is many times
increased (20 X ???) and that an adolescent that would be putting on a lot
of weight during that time would also deposit fat in her breast at a faster
rate. This enormous amount of adipose tissue would then stunt the growth of
the mammary gland.

In my 10 years practice I have seen MAYBE one case that I could think of
this as one of the cause of an insufficient milk supply. One is, in my
opinion, not enough to worry about this, but I do keep it in the back of my
mind as an information that could be usefull.

Dany Gauthier, IBCLC
Lactation consultant at Ste-Justine Hospital, Montreal
Quebec