From:
Aileen Emerling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 13:48:37 +0900
Dear All,

I just received a call from a mother.
G2 P2 Baby born at 24 weeks vaginally. Birth weight 630 grams. Current
condition stable. Mother is continuing to nurse older child (17months)

I do not have experience with micro preemies. I need your support and
information for this mom.

Right now I really just listened to her. She is still in shock of the
whole experience and "can't believe its real".  She wants to do all that
she can to help- Isaac her son.

I would like to give her the following resources: LLLs Breastfeeding
your Premature Baby and Dr Nils Bergman video on kangaroo care.
Other ideas or resources that would be helpful for her? She is going to
get a double hospital grade electric pump.

My first question- What kinds of questions to I need to be asking?

Are there any of you that work in the NICU that have protocols or
guidelines for dealing with this kind of baby.
What kind of milk storage guidelines- in terms of times and containers
do those of you in the NICU use.  Based on my understanding, glass is
preferable. I am also helping her to get a double electric hospital
pump.

A little background, this mother lives in Tokyo and has limited Japanese
skills.   Thus communicating with the hospital staff may prove
challenging.  I have contacted my fellow Japanese IBCLCs to see if
anyone has experience with micro preemies or is familiar with the
challenges of breastfeeding Japanese NICUs.

I thank you for your support and information.

Aileen Emerling IBCLC
Tokyo Japan