Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2011 14:19:15 -0500
Wow! I hardly know where to start. I just attended the launch of the US Surgeon General's Call to Action on Breastfeeding. It is an amazing document that is truly a gift to the breastfeeding community and to mothers and babies. It may not be perfect, but it goes a long way in providing the validation for all that we do. It contains 20 action items with implementation suggestions, including specific recommendations regarding IBCLCs as well as curbing the use of infant formula and holding formula marketers accountable to following the Code. The full document is 88 pages and can be ordered and downloaded from www.surgeongeneral.gov. It also supports exclusive breastfeeding for about 6 months, in spite of what the article in the British Medical Journal says and what a certain book author claims! This will help so many of us on our work. Even though it is not a mandate, it gives us another potent tool to use in improving breastfeeding promotion and support.

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA