From:
Daniel Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 07:20:53 -0400
My youngest child broke out the first time at 3 months and has fought
psoriasis for the 9 years since then. We have just finished a serious
break out. First her major reaction seems to be dairy, which she is
allergic to. The first recommendation is to exclude what ever mom is
reacting to. If mom does not know, I would recommend a test diet to see
if she can discover what it is, but I would have to bet it is dairy.
Either calcium supplements or corn meal would help her get the calcium
she needs. Next is to switch to a soap for the skin and hair that is
free of the garbage - I use the Nutragena products (no ad here, just
available in all stores - I'm lazy). And to handle the allergic aspect I
use a homepathic allergy tablet, as with my daughter being so small,
just one in the morning handles her for the day. I do admit, I have no
experience in using homepathic meds and breastfeeding.
    My point in this post is that, there are alternatives to diseases
and illnesses other than medications. The MDs in this case should be
looking for the cause, rather than just treating the symptoms, although
treatment is necessary too. Having gone through an unusal rash when
pregnant, I chose to dump the medicine down the toilet and suffer with a
full body rash, when the MD could not state that the medication would
not harm my baby. It isn't easy, but my baby came before my comfort,
especially knowing what I had was not contagious nor would get any
worse.
    I also wish (dream, hope for) MDs would begin to offer alternatives
rather than just handing out medications and also search for the cause,
rather than just treating the symptoms. Oh well, maybe in the future.

Leslie Ward
Vine Grove, KY
"I will not treat a child in a way that I myself would not want to be
treated." Barbara Coloroso