From:
Kate Hallberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 18:17:42 -0800
Jan asked a lot of questions that my muddled brain had
problems with, but one impression stuck out to me.  I
offer assistance with a paradigm shift.  If a woman
sounds conflicted, I mention the historical background
of sharing a bed- that many cultures have done it for
a long time.  I mention that my children sleep with
me- sometimes they just don't know anyone else who
does it, and I seem normal and my daughters are pretty
bright and outgoing, so maybe it is normal.

Sex seems to be a big stumbling block for people, but
ya' know, I'm generally too tired for sex at night
anyway.  I mention the distraction that videos provide
for my daughters during more wakeful hours.  :-)

When a baby is tiny, I mention how easy it is to nurse
without waking up.  My husband likes to chime in
there, since he never had to wake up to "get the baby,
honey".  I also mention that when my husband starting
sleeping through the night and I had to get my
daughter from her crib when she was 6 weeks old, I
almost dropped her walking 10 feet.

WRT getting them out of bed (Oh no!  Don't do *that*!
They'll never leave!") I suggest that I wouldn't
complain about having a daughter climb into bed with
me after her Prom night- generally people realise that
"never" isn't true.  Also, when children start to
visit friends, they'll run into one or two who have
their own bed and eventually they'll use it.  I know
I'm not talking about really little people, but we
generally don't have children to start pushing them
away at a young age, I hope.