From:
Renee Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jul 2005 03:19:33 EDT
Hello friends,
I have met a mom who has had a 32 weeker and is in the NICU  currently.  Mom
gave me permission to post.  She is 22 and at age 18  was diagnosed with
ductus carcinoma insitu.  She had much of her milk ducts  removed.  She is having a
hard time because she wanted to breastfeed so  badly.  She obviously has no
ducts because she has made no milk  whatsoever.  She feels guilty because her
preemie is not getting breast  milk.  She asked about banked milk, but the
neonatologist told her that it  wasn't "necessary" and that formula is "just
fine".  She still worries  about it not being best, but feels a bit intimidated by
the staff etc.   Baby just came off vent yesterday and is still unable to eat
by bottle.  I  am sure she is getting NG feedings.  Any suggestions?  Until
this mom,  I hadn't even heard of this.  I couldn't find anything in the
archives and  when I googled the condition, I couldn't find anything about
breastfeeding.

I find this situation doubly sad, because here is this mom who  desperately
wanted to feed her baby and can't...and my other "friend" who did  have her
baby at 32 weeks IS formula feeding, and obviously has a great milk  supply
because all she does is complain that she can't wait til she dries up so  she can
get back to her life. ...oh well who said the world was fair  right?

Anyway is there anything I can do to encourage this mom.   I have given
plenty of emotional support.  Helping her to not feel so  guilty.  The condition
wasn't her fault.  But you know us women...we  are programmed to feel guilt.

Thanks for all you do to help me out.

Renee Drake RN CLC

"Women should not feel guilty if they are unable to breastfeed, but  they
*should* feel guilty if they are unwilling to do so, and they should be
intellectually honest enough to know the difference." -Elizabeth Gene