From:
Becky Krumwiede <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 12:16:10 -0400
Debbie--
I know you've already received an answer that Coumadin (warfarin sodium) is
AAP approved, but I'm curious about what reference said that it's
contraindicated in nursing.  Even the PDR says it "appears in the milk of
nursing mother in inactive form" and that infants had "no change in
prothrombin times" and the PDR is usually the MOST cautious!

We seem to get so many questions on Lactnet about medications that are in
Dr. Hale's wonderful, easy-to-read, relatively inexpensive _Medications and
Mother's Milk_.  Anybody know why it's not available through the La Leche
League catalog?  They've got Briggs in there at a cost of more than 4 times
as much but no Dr. Hale, which even volunteer breastfeeding counselors
could afford.

At any rate, if I can make a recommendation to everybody out there who
counsels breastfeeding mothers:  Get this book or know who in your area has
one.  Several LLL groups in an area could share the cost, or if there's an
IBCLC in the area she probably has one.  For basic drugs that are in the
book you'd have a much faster answer plus be able to send a copy of the
information to the mom's doctor.  I could not function without this book.
Can be ordered by calling 800-378-1317.

Becky Krumwiede, RN, IBCLC, LLLL Reserve, Appleton, WI