From:
Annelies Bon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 1997 22:20:34 +0000
susan wrote:
>>>-------------------------------------
I saw a mom in the 35th week of pregnancy with a mild case of engorgement.  She
says
she has not been doing anything such as pumping, expressing, or love-making which
would encourage it.  The mom also says she has always been an over-producer with
the
last two kids.  Her last pregnancy was 4 years ago.  The last time she nursed was
about 3 years ago.  I was afraid to express because I didn't want to induce labor
and I also didn't want to get rid of any of the colostrum.  Cabbage leaf/cold
pack
treatments worked.  I am puzzled by this.  Has anyone ever seen this before?  I
am
not sure I did the right treatment.  Susan in Ranana.<<<

Yes, a women I know experienced letdowns and engorgement during pregnancy from
about 6-7 months, esp when she was working in the "baby room". She wasn't
surprised herself by this bc, as she told me, she has infertilty problems due to
high prolactine levels. 2 weeks before her delivery she even had clogged ducts. I
recommended the usual things (except putting baby to the breast) and that helped.
She massaged the clogged duct and expressed the colostrum out of it, by gentle
pushing on the breast towards the nipple. She was able to get rid of the clogged
ducts. It didn't induce labor, baby was born at 41 weeks. She also experiences an
overabundance of milk now and with her second baby. First weaned the 3 day due to
hospitalization.

I'm puzzled by your statement that by expresing the colostrum out, the body get
rid of the colostrum. As far as I know this isn't true. Breasts keep producing
colostrum until the ripe milk comes in.

groetjes,
--
Annelies Bon