Date:
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 14:07:04 -0500
I think I should fill you in with a bit more info on the dialysis - since
there's been 2 comments already on my "probably not while actual dialysis
is going on" comment.

I'm all for breastfeeding under what ever situations it is safe and
possible.

A dialysis hookup is a big honker in comparison to an IV.  It needs to be
because all of the person's blood volume travels through it.  The site is
sterile -  prepped and would be a big problem if it came dislodged.  People
who are on dialysis for a while get special blood pathways surgically
placed in their arms, but people receiving dialysis acutely, short term,
often have special lines placed in their neck or their chest to access
vessels big enough to dialyze through.

This would be a tough situation in which to analyze the feasibility of bf
during dialysis without having more info.

Gail
Gail Hertz, MD, IBCLC
Pediatric Resident
author of the little green breastfeeding book - disclaimer: owner of Pocket
Publications