Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2008 12:49:55 +0000
>Dear Group,
>
>Could someone enlighten me please?
>
>A friend of mine (no breastfeeding training, but she nursed her baby till
>a toddler) is busy writing a book on breastfeeding.

This makes me cross!! There is far too much written about bf by
people without training in it and training in the support of mothers
:(

<snip>

>" - It's best to wait at least six weeks before introducing bottles.  Any
>earlier and your disrupt the breastfeeding process and cause nipple
>confusion."

Too dogmatic. Though there is a kernel of sense in it.

>" - The occasional bottle from six weeks onwards shouldn't do any harm
>but them again, use only when absoultely necessary."  (She doesn't say
>how often "absolutely necessary" is).

Again, too dogmatic, and needs a lot of unpacking.

Pat, my guess is there is a lot of oter stuff in her book that isn't
quite right, too :(

Heather Welford Neil

NCT bfc, tutor, UK (and in the day job, a writer and journalist who
has written *a lot* about bf)