From:
Judy Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2001 23:52:33 -0700
When Diana mentioned the emergency room use of breastfeeding
it reminded me of our now 25 year burning both of her feet
at 14 months by climbing into the bathtub that was running
just hot water, while my husband went away for a moment,
leaving the bathroom door open.  (Bad mistake that took me
a while to forgive him for and she had just begun to walk.)

This child who rarely wore shoes, fortunately had her tennis
shoes on.  She could not climb out of the tub herself but
fortunately did not fall in and burn more of herself.  She
was lifting one foot out and so the foot she was standing
on was burned worse.

After cooling her feet in cold water, I breastfed her the
whole 25 minute car trip to the hospital as my husband
drove.  She never cried at all while at the breast though
her ankles were very painful where burned.  I was grateful
for the calming effect.
Judy Ritchie

"My middle daughter weaned (after tandem nursing for 6 months
with her brother) when she was about 2 1/2. Then, when she
was four, she picked up a razor blade that had fallen out of
someone's trash and cut her hand deeply enough to need stitches.
In the ER they wanted to give her morphine and strap her down.
Without thinking about it, I automatically leaned over her on
the stretcher, lifted up my shirt and asked her if she wanted
"ummies".  She nodded, her eyes geting big and round. I
reminded her not to touch me with her teeth. She remembered
how to nurse without any difficulty.  She needed no morphine
or restraints, and held perfectly still.  Nursing her helped
both of us get through our first ER experience."