From:
Brenda Phipps <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 11:51:59 -0700
Hello,

I have a question for the group of LCs on this list. There is a young woman, about 23 years old, in our community with an interest in breastfeeding promotion who was recently hired by our local health department as a "Family Nutritionist" for the Nutrition Network. She  has decided that the main focus of her newly-created position will be on promoting and providing breastfeeding services in the community, which is GREAT!

This person is hot on the bandwagon about becoming an LC, and the staff at the health department are pushing her to become an LC within one year utilizing a 700 hour clincial program (through BSC? I'm not sure). Up until this point, she has taken a 40-hour lactation course and has not had any real experience with hands-on help with moms.

Is it realistic for the health department to expect this young woman to become IBCLC within one year under these circumstances? I know that it took me 4 years to get to the point where I felt comfortable enough to even take the exam! Can this 700 hour course suffice in getting her the training she needs to become IBCLC in such a short amount of time?  I would like to know what this group thinks. Thanks!

Brenda Phipps, BS, IBCLC