Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 1997 18:12:57 -0500
Well, Tom, I think we can agree to disagree.  I still have not read
anything that suggests that the baby, the tiny premature, could not
have continued getting breastmilk.  But that is still not the
situation of the baby we were initially discussing.  I will grant that
as you spoke directly to the physician involved in the care of the
baby, that gives you more information than what we can deal with over
Lactnet.

However, I don't think I was "damning the torpedos, and full speed
ahead".  I thought about it quite carefully, and I could not find any
reason to be concerned (remember we are talking about the small for
gestational age baby who was otherwise healthy and thriving).

What if a baby did get rubella at 13 days?  Has anyone any information
that this is a serious infection *at any age* other than during the
first trimester of pregnancy?  The fact the baby was admitted to the
hospital does not prove anything.  In fact, rubella is particularly
mild, and most of the time is not even noticed by the person stricken.

By the way, I send a copy of all my posts to the person I am
responding to.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC