From:
Theresa Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 2003 12:35:13 -0700
Esti,

It would be nice to know this babies present weight, not just the birth weight.  And the number of wet and poopy diapers instead of "lots."  "Lots" is an opinion and real numbers help to give objective data.  Combining objective data with subjective data is one of the ways to evaluate an unseen (by the rest of the list i.e. email) circumstance that is posted here.

Assuming the weight gain is good, then I would think the next step is evaluating the baby's other needs.  Since the baby had significant trauma and probably contiuing pain with the broken clavicle and arm, perhaps he seeks sucking and suckling as a pain reliever and stress reducer as well as nourishment.  The stimulus of pain is overwhelming, especially to someone with very limited coping skills.  I would be very careful with positioning of this infant over the next 3 weeks (6 weeks total) and wear him in a sling when not feeding.  There is alot for this baby to cope with and the more mom can do to achieve this babies "balance" in everyday living through sling wearing and frequent feeds the better.

Since the mother also had a great deal of trauma (i.e. dealing with an unexpected outcome, surgery, loss of her percieved birth experience, high needs infant) then I would look to possible underlying grief and maybe even depression that she is not aware of and perhaps her unhappiness could even transfer to her very subtle dealing with the baby.  And the baby picks up on this.  At the least she could try doing her own personal gentle calming, active relaxation, deep breaths, etc. on her own and especially when she is with the baby.

Just a few thoughts,  wish I could be more eloquent but its hard with email!
Theresa Johnson
Orlando Florida

אסתי גולובנציץ <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I need some words of wisdom from you-I"m posting on behalf of my friend, who
gave birth three weeks ago.Labor started naturally and progressed
beautifully till her waters broke and being baby wasnt engaged,promptly
turned transverse-home birth turned into a traumatic c-section.
(Healthy baby boy-4.490 kg but with broken arm and clavicle)
This baby almost never lets go of moms nipples-every now and then he sleeps
for a two hour stretch(about once a day or two...) latch is fine,there is
great milk transfer and no low supply issues -lots of very wet and nice
poopy diapers .this baby wants to suck\suckle nearly 24\7.Both parents are
frazzled and quite frayed at the edges..Suggestions anybody?My feeling is
that this baby is still quite stressed out from the birth but I"m wondering
if anybody has what to suggest.They have been to a osteopath which much
improved arm mobility ,and are doing their best to answer this baby"s needs
-non stop contact and nursing.
warmly,
Esti Golovensitz
Jerusalem