From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2007 14:11:16 +0100
In terms of nutrition, it's a commom mistake to cross-reference mothers
in extreme environmental crisis, and those with eating disorders.
However, the cross-reference is of extrememly limited use.

Mothers who are emergency situations, even in sustained deprivation,
have usually had perfectly adequate and healthy diets prior to the
emergency, and most go into the emergency with body fat and a desire to
eat everything they get their hands on.  They fight for every calorie,
and will digest anything with protein and fats, such as insects and raw
eggs, in order to provide themselves, and their babies, with whatever
nutrition they find.  The depravation is usually short lived in the
sense that they will fight out of it as soon as they possibly can.
Further, in most cultures, the pregnant and breastfeeding women will get
first shares of whatever can be found.

A mother with an eating disorder, may have been in nutritional deficit
for most, or all, of her adult life.  She will often have no fat
reserves in her body whatsoever, and is continuing the inbalanced eating
with the baby.  She is most definately not scraping up as much protein
and fat as she can, from whatever source she can, in order to keep
herself and her baby in sound order.  And has been previously stated,
will most likely not be feeding constantly.  In short, there can be
serious concerns on nutrition with a mother in the clutches of a severe
eating disorder, that do not apply, in general, to mothers in enforced
deprivation.

This is one area where we can sometimes be a touch complacent - as
breastmilk will do so much, on so little.  However there is a point
where you're not looking at what can be done in order to keep a baby
alive in the midddle of a year long drought, and instead looking at what
on earth can be done with a mother who has been effectively starving
herself for several years without a break, and who is maintaining that
pattern with the infant.  There are serious concerns for any infant who
has a mother with no fat reserves, and who is not ingesting any fats
whilst pregnant and/or breastfeeding.

Morgan Gallagher