From:
Mike and Anne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 1997 00:20:36 -0400
Dear lactnetters - Am I missing anything big in the following case due to
not-very-wide counseling experience?
Mom called me 1 week post partum with extremely sore nipples. She was also
pretty baby-blues upset with all-night-party-type baby. Called me again
next day in tears so I went over. One nipple was scabbed, other sore
looking, both on the tips. Pediatrician had convinced her to get a pump to
give herself a break. Baby is according to Mom voracious nurser and wants
to suck all night with strong suck. Corrected slight positioning problems,
gave her Lansin... Two days later she called again asking for breast shells
(pediatrician big on Aids) and saying pedi had given her nystatin to use
'as a preventation against thrush'. She has been up and down for past week.
Today she said her nipples were really sore again. Baby, now 2 weeks, just
regained birthweight but still nursing constantly, every 1 hr, 15 mins or
so. Baby is still slightly jaundiced so pediatrician told Mom 'to
supplement with some formula to bring down bilirubin.........' (she claims
she only gives one 2 oz formula feed a day)
Are her nipples sore because of very very frequent feeds? Does it sound
like her milk supply is low? (Baby is having regular wet diapers and at
least 2 poops) How normal is it for sore nipples to persist beyond first
few days (I presume her positioning is OK now but maybe not always because
she is very tired). I did suggest she discontinue the 'preventative'
nystatin for 24 hours in case she's reacting to it... Any other suggestions
(we've done warm, cold, etx. and she does pump and get her hubbie to give
one feed by bottle).
Anne Merewood