From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2007 07:09:15 +1100
I think that this paper should not have been accepted for publication in BMJ
because of the conflict of interest, this study was funded by a New Zealand
milk company. I think that it is reasonably likley that the researchers were
ignorant of the issues surrounding milk marketing and so had no idea that
what they were doing was not a good thing; the lead researcher is an expert
of Zinc, not the feeding of young children. I think that to him it seemed
like a good idea to provide Zinc in milk. However, it's just a disaster!
This study should not have passed ethics approval and then it should not
have been published as is. The researchers should have been made aware of
the stinking mire they were stepping into and certainly should have been
aware after the fact that they had been used. The harm that this has caused
is enormous!

I think that many people could feel self righteous about this but how many
LCs have assisted in the enrolment of women in the TRIGR study?? A formula
trial with no breast milk control that will only harm breastfeeding in the
end.

Karleen Gribble
Australia