From:
"Henry, Felicia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 15:51:09 -0800
I too was very upset when I saw the shields on the shelf with the rest of
the company's breastfeeding products.  It was bad enough that Avent's where
there with their breastfeeding products (shells, pads, etc).  The one thing
for me is the fact of doing and knowing what I know (since I also work at
this particular store) I always stop when I see moms eyeing the shields and
find out why they "need" to buy them.  I also give them the names & numbers
of other LC's in town (since there is one who loves shields and hands them
out like candy) and LLL for help to get off the shields, for the info of
what to watch for in cases of dropping milk supply and latch, & the proper
way they should be worn and why follow-up is important.  The sad thing is I
know women are only getting this info when I am at work and only at this
particular store (unless other baby stores have people expereinced in
breastfeeding working there).  Right now our particular store is low
inventory on them (we have 2 left and so far no more coming in) - so that
slows it down.  Before this the only way to get a nipple shield was from an
LC - who hopefully was doing all the follow-up work to prevent low supply
issues and working to get the baby to the breast.  But the Avent ones have
been available for a long time on the store shelves.

It is a sad situation - but as we vent about companies have to think of the
bottom line before moms and babies.

Felicia Henry
Trying to stop shield problems before they start one mom at a time in
Oxnard, CA