Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2012 14:21:52 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
PTP. 15y/o primipara. 
I initially saw them for sore nipples/difficulty latching. 
7/12: baby born weighing 7#6oz.
7/16  lowest weight was 6#13oz when I saw them in my office. Baby had a tongue tie that was clipped that same day, baby was 4 days old.
7/20: pre & post weight feeds showed baby able to transfer 3oz and at that time. Baby up to 7#9oz prior to that feed. Mom had gobs of milk. 
7/23 she was 8#2oz. 
8/3 mom reports shes lost her milk supply. Hasnt started any new medications, herbs, hasnt done anything differently. Bleeding has tapered off significantly. baby incredibly fussy, started formula supplementation. 
Saw mom in office, breast were very soft & squishy. Able to express just a few ml both by hand expressing & double pumping after several attempts.  I provided mom with an SNS to feed at the breast, as well as a Double electric pump, mom did skin to skin & round the clock feeds for 3 days with no change. 

Mom now has a call in to her doctor to discuss this. Ive encouraged her to ask the doctor to do some bloodwork. What specifically should she have checked? Any other reasons you can think of that a mom who I originally saw with gobs of milk will have lost her supply a few weeks in?  This mother has a very supportive family who has had them attend with her each of the several times Ive seen them. Im at a loss and want to help this 15 year old who was doing very well. 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2