Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2009 12:17:15 -0500
 As Heather said, when anyone switches to a "healthy diet"--or in this mother's case, perhaps just healthier (it is not healthy to eat 6 meals a day and she certainly hasn't eliminated all unhealthy foods), then inflammation is reduced and weight is lost immediately. This is not the burning of fat cells, but loss of the excess fluids the body uses to attempt to manage the inflammation. As she burns fat (primarily through exercise), she will release toxins from her fat cells. OTOH, if she is indeed eating a healthier diet then her liver, kidneys and skin will be more efficient at detoxifying and she will eliminate toxins more quickly.? Because you interfere with the body's ability to detoxify when you do not give the digestive system a rest--she actually may continue to store her toxins. Using chlorophyll can help to body eliminate toxins more efficiently, as can opening the detoxification pathways by using detox co-factors such as glutathione (interestingly, disruption in glutathione pathways in the human breast is implicated in tumor formation).

Personally, I do not think women should be afraid of detoxing while nursing (not that I am suggesting a 10 day water fast or having mercury fillings removed), but I think they should be more afraid of being toxic. How is it better to continue to build a toxin load by eating processed foods than it is to lower the toxin load by eating healthy foods? Either ay, toxins are stored in fat and she ha fat in her milk. The baby's fatty brain grew in her body!! I would just like to see these moms working with a naturopath or other knowledgeable person (not a standardly-trained RD, possibly a nutritionist? or chiropractor) to actually heal vs just lose weight.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network LLC