From:
Stephanie George <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2018 09:30:22 -0400

> Shekoli:

Our local hospital throws shields around like candy to moms. It's terrible.

Knowing this, in my prenatal breastfeeding classes,I discuss a couple of
things. First - breast compressions while baby is drinking - as early and
as often as she can manage. I think compressing in the first days is easier
than hooking up to a pump. It saves time and energy, which are in short
supply.

Second, I teach hand expression, especially after a medicated birth. Again,
it's easier than a pump, and tunes the mom into her own body, her own
'sweet spots.' She feel empowered that her breasts are working and she is
making milk.

Moms who are able to do these couple of things tend to have their milk come
in at a very good time (36-48 hours), even with a shield and without
pumping. And, because they know their breasts, they feel empowered that
they can do it, with proper supports (their friendly, 24 hour on call LC -
me). They start mommyhood out from a place of strength and empowerment, not
failure (which is the impact local nurses have on new moms here).

Enjoying a cool/cold day in southern Canada - waiting for Winter to
hibernate already.

Steph
Oneida Nation