From:
Mari Douma <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Nov 1998 14:21:56 -0500
Heather,

I agree with you! I was watching this video last night with my daughter and
my hands were itching to caress and help the baby! BTW, my daughter (2 1/2
y) loves to watch this baby find the boobie (as we call it at home). She
would rewind and watch it over and over (I think she's a future LC). While I
felt sad for this mom (I couldn't have done it myself), I do understand why
the researchers did it though. It is and will remain an incredible and
powerful statement. I am grateful that this video was made.  Because of the
un-natural situation with the mother not helping the baby, I don't intend to
show this video to moms for a how-to-breastfeed demonstration. I think it
should be used more specifically to show what the researchers intended. I
only wish they had then shown the baby nursing for a little while (it cuts
off just as the baby begins to latch and suck). I want to see that baby get
the nummies she/he worked so hard for!

Also BTW, I mentioned in my first post a couple of weeks ago that I am doing
a small BF research project. One part of this includes a questionnaire sent
to all of the BF moms in our practice who have had a baby in the last 2
years. It has been so incredible to read their additional comments section!
I get such a sense of the power that women can generate regarding their BF
experiences. I have been sooo excited about this. It has been really great
and uplifting!

Mari Douma, DO