From:
Judy Le Van Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2006 13:56:13 EST
Nikki writes:

Dr. Jack  Newman, if you ever have the opportunity to hear him at =
conferences,  suggests the following hierarchy for feeding:
1)  mom's own breastmilk  from her breast
2)  mom's own expressed or pumped milk
3)   donor human milk
5)  glucose water
6)  artificial milk  substitutes
Dear Friends:
The WHO says, 1) direct  breastfeeding
2) expressed mother's milk
3) donor milk
4) human milk  substitutes

There is no evidence anywhere supporting the use of glucose  water for
feeding
babies.

I was wondering whether this would be raised, and I'm glad it has been.
There are two issues here, it is one thing for a doc suggest a small  glucose feed
to avoid the early introduction of something as allergenically  prone as
human milk substitutes but another to only offer this as sole calorie  intake for
5 days, which was the posted situation. It points to both the need to  tailor
when one course of action might be better than another, and also points  out
how evidence, or lack of it overruling individualized strategies, sometimes
fails us and the families we work with.

Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL